Friday, May 3, 2013

Up All Night

I was looking for jobs and came across one at 9:00PM that said the person needed formatting done in the next three hours.
Now usually these jobs are posted wrong. I have frequently applied to a "rush" job only to find it was awarded to someone else days later. I charge more for these because it is rather inconvenient to drop everything you are doing and work on them since someone else didn't plan very well.
Amazingly, this guy contacted me. He wanted to Skype - which I don't - I mean I was already in my pajamas. He talked with me through email a bit then and finally said he was going to give the job to someone else he was talking with who bid lower. I wished him the best. You see when a freelancer bids low on something like this, it means they either are new or aren't very good. It also means the employer has a chance of not getting it done.
My workday ends at 1:30AM, so at 1:00, I began shutting everything down. The guy called me on the PHONE! Yes, I was shocked. He said he lost contact with the freelancer he had hired. I told him to give me a minute while I rebooted everything. By the time I go in touch with him online, he had found the other freelancer and again said he didn't need me. So, I again shut everything down and went to bed. I was just getting settled in to Mansfield Park and he called me AGAIN!
Now, I like working and getting paid, but I have children. I don't want the phone waking them up at 1:00 in the morning. This time, he said he was finished with the other freelancer - apparently more problems had arisen. Fool that I am, I took the job (I should have probably charged him extra). Since I could barely keep my eyes awake, the 2 hour job turned into a 3 1/2 hour job. In addition, none of the references were even remotely in good condition. I hate formatting bad references. Needless to say, I did not track down the ones that were incomplete, I just posted them as is. I finished in just enough time to wake up and take my son to school. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment