Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Knowing what you want

The hardest jobs to bid on or complete are those from people who do not know what they want. While this may seem like a no-brainer, it is actually more complex. For example, one person posted a job for a screenplay.

People who professionally write screenplays know there are two major screenplay formatting programs - Final Draft and Movie Magic. Although you do not have to have these to break into the industry, you do have to format your script exactly like these two programs would. Final Draft is used by industry screenwriters and so you can easily collaborate with it. This is one program I use.

This particular job seemed less formal. However, I asked to be certain - 'Would you like the script done in Final Draft or are you looking for something less formal?'
The person replied that "yes, he would like a final draft."

Another person wanted a riddle - which I do not do - but it also sounded like he wanted a code - which I do. So I asked.

He replied that he did not need any computer coding.... sigh.

I suppose this is good since I do not do computer coding, and I am only familiar with Python and BASIC anyway. But on the other hand it is bad. I have to carefully weigh whether it is worth it or not to work with him.

Needless to say, the first job was for an informal advertising script - which I did not apply to do.
The second one, I am considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment