Monday, April 22, 2013

Translating

My favorite job right now is translating. This is an easy job that pays relatively well. Like "spinning" programs, there are also translating programs. I use one to make my job go quicker.
However, once again, computers are not very intelligent. Sometimes they spit out the worst incoherent garble you can imagine.

The perfect example of this is when in my French sentences, I discovered two sentences in Russian. Here, I thought, I will show them that I can be versatile in my translation languages. I stuck it into my translator and out popped garbage. I tried hard to get it to make sense, but I only speak two words in Russian - da and yenshina - and both were learned from an eighties rock band named "Gorky Park" who, I am sure you will be surprised to know, was from Russia. Neither of these phonetically written words were in the material I had and I do not know if I would have been able to recognize them in the native Russian writing.

Needless to say, I learned a very important lesson - I can only translate languages I am intimately familiar with. Thus said, I could probably translate Spanish into English as well. I just haven't gotten up the nerve to try it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment