So, I am still waiting to hear from Harlequin. That is no surprise since tomorrow will only mark the two month point since my submission. I did, however, relax a little and stop worrying about it.
Well, at least until Amazon announced a self-publishing contest. The only book I had finished that would have fit was the one I submitted to Harlequin, and the grand prize was $50,000. But I wrote that book specifically for Harlequin's Love Inspired Historical line. I was torn up for the two weeks I had to enter the contest and am still a little unsettled for other reasons. $50,000 is a lot of money. But, there was a catch. In order to get the prize if you won, you had to allow Amazon to publish your book and sign a contract that was posted and could not be changed. The contract was generous, but it gave Amazon some rights I did not want to relinquish.
The question is: If Harlequin doesn't accept it, wouldn't Amazon be better than nothing? And of course the answer is "yes," but I want Harlequin to accept it. I want to publish my series through them because it was written for them. I know. I am being silly - especially since $50,000 is a good deal. But even that isn't guaranteed. I probably would have less of a chance of winning since my book isn't steamy. So, I didn't submit it.
Yes, I might be kicking myself in a few months when that rejection letter from Harlequin comes, but I just couldn't risk giving up before I know for sure...