Monday, January 20, 2014

To Refresh Your Memory...

The quickest way to inspire me to write a book about you is to hire me under mysterious circumstances. I have a vivid imagination, and as innocent as your project may be, if it can in any way be construed to be suspicious (read: you want me to do something ASAP, you pay well, your job is simple, and you are generally happy with my work), I will think up some fantastically fictitious backstory as to why you are having me work for you. I wrote an entire book about one of my repeat employers, who unfortunately changed genres and I didn't apply for the job (I am still kicking myself over that one). To refresh your memory, I am reprinting one of my first blog posts about Simple N:

Simple N is another one of my favorite clients. I do a lot of rewriting for him and I have built an entire story (which is fictional I am sure) around his life. It is a postmodern sort of story, which is the kind of writing I can do without someone outlining what they want.

You see, Simple N frequently contacts me, sends me work, and expects it complete in three days. The type of work he sends me does not seem urgent in any way, but it is to him. He is a repeat customer, and I enjoy doing the work, but I often wonder how he makes money? The things I do are not that intensive, but he pays decently. He also pays without question - another thing I am glad of.

With Simple N, I get paid by the word. While most projects from him run from $30 - $50, one was a whopping $120. I was shaking because I thought he would never pay me that much for such simple work - I was wrong.

So what does a guy do for a living, who sends someone simple rewrites with all the necessary information and pays them well for it as long as it is done in three days... I know a good story that would explain it.

My version of Simple N's life (the fictitious one I created) is in the editing process and will soon be on kindle. I'll post an excerpt and let you know when I finally finish it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment