Thursday, February 6, 2020

The broken computer blues

My keyboard broke (in case you didn't tell some of my posts have an odd w or two). I am in the middle of a few projects, it will take an entire week to have it fixed while they wait for parts, and I hate using my husband's computer because "shift" is in the wrong place on the right side and I hit all sorts of other keys when I try to use it (and of course I use that shift the most even though my typing teacher would be vastly disappointed in me for not switching sides), so I have not taken mine in yet. Sad, I know.

I cut and paste every single "w" I type (including that one). I touch type, so normally this doesn't slow me down too much, but the problem comes when I paste a formatted w into a document that is formatted differently ( I try to copy only unformatted ones). Or problems arise when I cut and paste other things and forget to copy the "w" when I am through. Then I can end up having to hit ctrl z and spend time copying and pasting an actual "w" into the text. 

I also cannot use my "2" or "at" (sorry, I don't want to switch out my "w" for that symbol and then have to copy the "w" again). The 2 on my numeric pad works, though, so I can use that as long as I don't forget. 

I could, of course, plug in an alternate keyboard, but as I already said, I touch type. That means I need to have the same keyboard or spend a lot of time getting used to a new one. Apparently the people who design computers do not take this into account as they create thousands of differently designed keyboards. I would have so many mistake key hits I don't think it would make it any quicker than the cut and paste I am now doing. 

I did finally spend the day it took to back up my computer, but my plan to take the computer in this week failed. I have had three unexpected appointments come up and one was a meeting with my Congressional representative that required me to give a PowerPoint--something I did not want to attempt on my husband's computer. So, if all goes well, I will deposit my computer at the repair shop on Monday and get it back by Friday--next week. Since I rely on my computer for income, losing it for that long is not something I am looking forward to doing.

UPDATE: It took three trips to the computer repair shop to finally get my computer fixed. After a week of waiting, I got home to discover my j key was no longer working and neither was my DVD drive (something I need). The DVD drive was fixed and I got home only to discover I could no longer use my keyboard at all. That third time, I was like look, I need my whole computer to work when you give it back to me. Please check to make sure it is fully functional before you give it back. Now, I am happy again, although my "o" is finicky, but I can live with that more than I can live without my source of income.

No comments:

Post a Comment