Monday, April 16, 2018

To Skype or Not to Skype

As I stated in previous posts, I do not Skype, but "I do willingly call all my employers and have an international calling plan so I can do this. Being able to contact your employers verbally is important. Some employers have a difficult time writing - that is why they are hiring you after all - so offering another form of communication is important."

In fact, if an employer states Skype is required, I do not apply. Seeing who you are speaking with was totally cool on the Jetsons, but I don't think the inventors realized the implications. I have inadvertently flashed my daughter's friend stepping over her computer without realizing a Skype conversation was open (my daughter was away from the computer at the time- the only reason I know it happened was because the friend shouted, "Hi, Mrs. Reinoehl!" after I passed).

Yet again, a potential employer has asked me if I Skype and yet again I have refused.

Now, I did use Skype once-the employer was disabled and that was his preferred method of communication. (Read he was blind.) Now, that whole job experience was a disaster, so in my opinion bending the rules was definitely not worth it. Plus, once you get a Skype ID and someone is like, "Do you have a Skype ID?" I would not be able to say "No."

I am proud of the fact I will make myself available for employers at any time of day or night based on their own working hours, but I like to remain in my pajamas at 2 AM- call me quirky. And, yes, I have heard you can simply shut the video feature off, but why even use Skype when its whole purpose is to see who you are speaking with. If my employers didn't want to see me, they would not force me to use Skype. I can call them at no cost to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment