Thursday, March 5, 2020

The Infamous Free Sample

I have recently talked about the "writing test." This is a "test" that employers invariably send me that takes time to complete and that frequently is filled with errors that cannot be corrected without a style manual. Similar to this atrocity is the free sample. Guru does not allow employers to request free samples. Like tests, any jobs that ask for samples I tend to avoid. Since employers cannot specifically ask for free mockups or free samples directly in their post because it goes against Guru policy, I do occasionally bid on a project and then get a request for a sample after the fact. 

In normal life, we only get free samples with new products. Most people do not like to try new products as a general rule. Giving them something free to try is one inexpensive way to give them something new that overcomes this. In addition, if they like your product they will tell others and you will get free advertising out of it. But people do not go to a company and say, I want you to make me a cookie that is low-fat and contains both chocolate and raisins, and I want a free sample before I decide if I am then going to buy that cookie from you. People have come to Guru looking for a very specific job to be done, and yet they are now asking for me to do free work on their job. Beta readers (who are not even close to being real editors, but who can catch some major flaws) do their work for free and enjoy it. Go to a website for beta readers if you want free work. 

Let's say I have a broken faucet in my bathroom and a clogged drain. Would I call a plumber and ask them to come out and fix the faucet for free before I decide to hire him to fix the drain? No. No one would do this because we all know plumbers charge you just to come out to your house and fix nothing. I had one plumber charge me for two hours of "work" while he sat in his van and waited for a plumbing apprentice to show up. 

Could you go to Office Depot and Staples with a paper you needed copied and ask them to make you a free copy as a sample? Well, you could, but I am going to bet they would laugh and tell the story to future workers for months. Would a lawn care company come out and do a free sample of their work on your lawn? Your doctor might give you free samples of medications (which she has received for free from businesses), but would any doctor see you for free so you could get a feel of how she diagnoses diseases? A mechanic might tell you what is wrong with your car for free, but he usually isn't going to tell you how to fix it yourself for free. 

The problem is that new freelancers (including myself when I was new) do free work. They are desperate for a customer base, for feedback, and for a variety of samples. Giving out free work encourages people to think they should be able to get free work. Beta readers do free work, so this also makes people think that editing should be free. The problem is that they have the wrong idea. Beta readers are not doing the work for free. The author of the work is actually giving a beta reader a free sample of their work to judge how an audience will receive it. The beta reader is paid for their time with a free book. A freelance editor is not an audience, but a professional who is going to fix your book's plumbing. Even new freelancers deserve to be paid for their work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment