Monday, July 30, 2018

Blogging

Many freelance writers do not feel blogging is important. The biggest complaints are that it is a waste of time, that it is ineffective, and that it is "giving away" your work for free. Although I have reservations about some content, I have to disagree that blogging is giving away work for free.

I obviously use my blog to vent. Sometimes, when I am bogged down by work, I have to forgo making entries, but in all, I enjoy it. I am a writer, and it is such a free form of expression it helps me to clear my mind. However, I also try to provide useful tips to my readers, so they can build their writing careers - be it through freelance work, self-publishing, or traditional publishing.

Blogging helps you build an audience for your work, if you use it correctly. I don't. First, you need to post regularly - preferably once a day, but at least once a week. I have giant periods of time where I am trying to raise funds for my family to survive on through freelancing, and I cannot post. (Blogging doesn't pay well for obvious reasons. Hence the reason I added the "Donate" button - in hopes I can get enough donations to focus more on my blogging content and providing useful tips and less on where I am going to get the money to repair my transmission.) In addition, I should push my own writing on here more often, but then I hate pushy salesmen. I have plenty of links that are visible on the page that will take you to where you can buy my work or read about it.

Now, my reservations concern what you blog. As I mentioned in an earlier post, you do not want to blog an entire book. Once you have given the whole thing away for free, your chances of selling it to someone are slim. However, you can use your blog to generate interest in your books or your writing style. Several of my Google+ and Goodreads friends have great blogs that sell their brands. Check these out for better ideas on how to set up a good themed blog for selling your books or your freelancing services (note, not all of these bloggers post as frequently as they should, but they write on focused themes that should help them sell their work):

http://joymcculloughcarranza.blogspot.com/ (Freelance writer trying to break into traditional publishing.)
http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspot.com/ (Professional script reader)
http://timothyhurleyauthor.blogspot.com/ (Self-publishing)
http://pebbleinthestillwaters.blogspot.com/ (author/ book blog)


No comments:

Post a Comment