Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Are you a professional writer or a hobbyist?

I want to say from the beginning that there is nothing wrong with having a writing hobby. As a professional writer, I not only enjoy writing (most of the time- especially my own stuff), but I also make money from it. Hobbyists can also make money, but they generally have another full- or part-time job. Hobbyists generally only write about the things they want to write about and like to write about. Professional writers may or may not write about things they enjoy. The primary difference is that a professional writer can not only write about things that they dislike, they can write them in such a way that no one would know from reading it that the actual writer disliked it.
Now, you may say, "What about Steven King? He only writes what he likes to write, and he makes lots of money, and he breaks all the rules you tell us on here." Well, Stephen King's first major success was Carrie. He began writing it because he was told his stories lacked female perspective and characters. After three pages he crumpled it up and threw it in the trash because he hated the story, he couldn't get into the head of an adolescent girl and make her sympathetic (his wife, also an English major and writer, helped him with the finished product), and he knew it was getting too long to be accepted as a short story. The book was rejected 30 times, which means he had to write a sales letter along the line somewhere (something most authors dread). And now that he is famous, I am sure he has to write many things in the name of marketing that he would probably rather not. I have developed a quiz for you to discover if you are a professional writer or a hobbyist. This is my first time trying to incorporate a quiz, so bear with me.

Writer or Hobbyist?

Do you write because you love it, write because you need a paycheck, or a little of both? You can find out by taking this quiz.
  1. How often do you find yourself writing down a good idea for a story or non-fiction work?

  2. All the time.
    I don't just write the idea down, I write the story or non-fiction work.
    I usually don't have my own ideas, but other people's ideas inspire me.
    I have had less than five different ideas.

  3. Do you keep a journal?

  4. Every day.
    I have a journal I use, but I don't write in it every day.
    I don't have a journal, but sometimes I make a social media post describing my day.
    I think journals are silly.

  5. When you get an idea, how much research do you do about it?

  6. I don't need to research because I am very creative.
    I do research, but I never have enough time before my deadline to get it all done.
    I extensive research that includes character backstories, facts, and academic journals.
    Sometimes I get lost in the research and never write.

  7. How good are you at selling your ideas and yourself as an author to others?

  8. I hate interacting with other people in real life but I am okay on the computer.
    I enjoy interacting with other people in real life and online.
    Beyond my professional profile, website, and submitting job bids, I don't do much interaction.
    As long as I can communicate face-to-face, I do fine. I struggle online.

  9. What is your dream? (Pick the one that is most important to you.)

  10. To publish a book.
    To use my writing to make money and as a creative outlet (that may make money).
    To write faster and better so I can make enough money to survive.
    To be famous.

  11. How many books do you read in general each year?

  12. I constantly read for pleasure.
    I read for both pleasure and work.
    I only read if it is related to a writing project I am working on.
    I read less than one book a year.

  13. What kind of education do you have?

  14. Multiple degrees or some professional development education beyond the undergraduate level.
    Bachelors degree.
    High school diploma, and I attend writing seminars or conferences or took some college courses.
    High school diploma or less.

  15. Are you the member of a writing group?

  16. No. My employers are my critics.
    I have been a member, but I do not regularly attend.
    I am devoted to my writing group and only occasionally miss meetings.
    What is a writing group?

  17. What is the main topic you write about?

  18. I struggle devoting time to what others want to read and to what I want to write.
    Whatever my employers want it to be.
    I only write what I enjoy writing. Writing is a creative outlet.
    I like to share my life experiences.

  19. How do you feel about editing?

  20. I always do several passes over everything before I send it to an employer.
    I do most of my own editing but I also use an online editor or pay someone to edit my work.
    I hate editing. I usually let my word processing program do it for me.
    I think content is more important than grammar.




100-85 Professional: You write for a living and only write if you can make money from it.

84-55 Semi-professional: You are a mix of the writer and hobbyist. You refuse to give up your creative ideals but you still use writing to bring home the bacon.

25-54 Hobbyist: Writing is your creative outlet. If you make money off it someday, it will be a dream come true, but even if you don't you get a sense of accomplishment from creating the written word.

Less than 24 Writing isn't your thing. You have a story to tell, but you would rather just tell it. Although you don't mind writing some things, even the things you like to write about are not easy or as enjoyable. You would probably rather hire someone to write your autobiography than do it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment